Although I wrote the book titled The Body Shaping Diet in the late 1980s, I am continually reminded just how important it is to know your Body Type. Recently I have seen two Android Shaped women in my medical practice who were the classic Android Shape and both were very overweight. Typically they carried their weight in the abdominal area and both had a fatty liver. They craved carbohydrates such as bread and pasta as well as sugary foods. What struck me about these 2 women was the very high level of their fasting insulin – one had a level of 67 and the other a level of 46. Bearing in mind that the normal fasting insulin level should be less than 12 this was very abnormal and explained the reason that they could not lose weight. Elevated insulin levels cause a problem with your metabolism of fats and sugar, which inevitably leads to weight gain – this metabolic problem is known as the Metabolic Syndrome or Syndrome X.
Insulin makes you overweight for several reasons –
- It is a fat storing hormone
- It makes you hungry especially for carbohydrates
- It suppresses your fat burning hormones
- It promotes a fatty liver
Both these women had Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS), which is far more common in Android Shaped women. They did not ovulate regularly and thus were progesterone deficient. They both had high levels of male hormones (androgens) which promote weight gain and hair loss.
I placed them on a low carbohydrate diet which was grain free meaning they could not eat any wheat, rye, barley, oats, rice or corn or the by-products of these grains. See a summary of this diet below.
Dr Cabot’s Low Carbohydrate Weight Loss Diet
Avoid These Foods
- Wheat, rye, barley, oats, corn and rice.
- Flour, bread, cereals, pasta, noodles, pastry, cakes, cookies, donuts, muffins etc
- Sugar, Jam, Molasses, Treacle, Ice Cream, Lollies, Sweets (pure dark chocolate is allowed in small amounts), Deep Fried Foods, Wine, Beer, Sweet Drinks
- Margarine, all hydrogenated fats (trans-fats), all deep fried foods
Choose These Foods
- Spreads – tahini, hummus, avocado, tomato paste, nut spreads, real butter
- Salads – good dressings include organic apple cider vinegar, lemon, cold pressed oils
- Lean fresh red meat especially lamb or veal are healthy, grass fed is best
- Eggs – free range organic – eat a lot of eggs – omelet, fried, scrambled, hard-boiled etc
- Poultry – chicken, turkey, duck, etc. (free range, organic is best but not essential)
- All seafood
- All vegetables
- Fruits – 3 pieces daily is a maximum – berries, passion fruit, citrus are best
- Raw Nuts and Seeds, can be salted if desired
- Biodynamic yogurt – plain, unflavored, full fat or Greek yogurt
- Cheese – Feta, pecorino, vintage, parmesan cheese, cottage, ricotta etc
- Coconut milk (canned) and A 2 dairy, almond milk (check labels to be sugar free)
- Synd-X Slimming Protein Powder – for breakfast smoothies or add to yogurt. You can even make your own ice cream with Synd X Protein powder. Mix it in a blender with cream (dairy and/or coconut cream), raw eggs, fresh fruits and you have a low carb treat!
Low Carb No Grain Muesli (make it yourself)
- Whey protein powder or Synd-X protein powder
- LSA, pumkin seeds, chia seeds, hemp seeds, sunflower seeds.
- Chopped nuts
Use coconut milk, A 2 dairy, almond milk and/or use bio-dynamic full fat plain yogurt
You can sweeten it with Nature Sweet Sugar Substitute or stevia. Add any fresh fruits
Nature Sweet Sugar Substitute – contains stevia, chicory, maltitol and erythritol. Has no carbohydrates and almost zero calories; use for tea, coffee, cooking; tastes just like sugar!
MILKS = A 2 Dairy, Almond, Coconut (no added sugar)
Low carb alcohol
Spirits – whiskey, rum, etc Soda water & ice, sweeten with Nature Sweet Sugar Substitute or Stevia, fresh limes or lemons or grapefruit
I encouraged them to use Synd X Slimming Protein powder to make smoothies when they felt hungry and yet did not need to eat. Synd X Protein powder tastes great in coconut milk or dairy milk and contains specific ingredients to reduce hunger and promote weight loss. It contains first class whey protein, taurine, glutamine, chromium and stevia and this promotes a stable metabolism and blood sugar levels. Remember that the key to weight loss is to keep your insulin levels low.
These women did really well and within 4 weeks their fasting insulin levels were below 10 – this meant that they no longer had Syndrome X. They were losing weight and feeling under control – they were very happy with their weight loss.
It is interesting how things often occur in pairs! Recently I saw two Lymphatic Shaped women in my practice who were battling with their weight. They both had excess weight and severe fluid retention affecting most of their body. This is typical of Lymphatic Shaped women and men. In particular both these women had severe fluid retention just below their knees, and the skin in this area was thickened and puffy. This appearance is suggestive of a thyroid problem called myxoedema. Sure enough after testing their levels of thyroid hormone they both had low levels of thyroid hormone – they had an underactive thyroid condition known as Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis.
I have found that Lymphatic Shaped women are more prone to underactive thyroid conditions. I tested them for thyroid resistance and sure enough – they both had high levels of Reverse T 3. I prescribed thyroid hormone tablets (both T 4 and T 3) to which they responded beautifully with a loss of weight and fluid. I also prescribed a supplement containing iodine, selenium and zinc, as these minerals are essential for healthy thyroid tissue and thyroid function. I told them to avoid gluten containing foods and to go on a low carbohydrate eating plan.
Also don’t forget that once you get your hormones under control you will have much more energy – so guess what? No more excuses not to exercise. Our bodies crave exercise and it really helps to lower insulin levels.
To know your body type now – do our body type questionnaire at – www.cabothealth.com.au/body-type-questionnaire
In the Choose your foods section above – it states that spreads can be used – but on what if wheat, rye, barley, oats, corn and rice are to be avoided?
Vegetables- raw fresh vegetables. You an always use Quinoa Buckwheat and Amaranth- do you have a dehydrator- you could dehydrate your own gluten free crisps.
Hello after reading the book and wants to buy the supplement I cannot find the L-body type figure control tablets what can I substitute it with? Evelyn Faye shop have only the Metabocel tablets that needs to have together the L-body.
Hi, thanks for your email. I am pleased to advise that you can purchase the L Body Type tablets directly from our Cabot Health website. Even better news is that they are on special at the moment! see here